Sunday, August 26, 2012

My Running

I have been running on and off for 20 years. Nothing impressive mind you. The most I ever ran consistently was about 20 miles a week a few years ago - and boy, did I get skinny. I have always struggled with the same issue I have with everything else - i.e. I end up pushing myself too hard, running too often and then I crash from tiredness. Most of the time I ran about twice a week, about 2 miles each time, which really is just for basic fitness. I usually squeezed this in on the treadmill at lunchtime at work if I could. However, when I achieve consistency, that's when things really start to go right. I'm in the middle of one of these periods right now. I started about 10 weeks ago, going outside and running three times a week - twice I'd do 2 miles and once I'd do 3 miles - nothing spectacular but steady. There is a "threshold" you reach after doing consistent exercise for a while - the running becomes easier. It is a wonderful feeling to be able to run and not struggle for breath. This week I stretched to an extra run, 4 in a week, and so far I feel fine. It's not about distance or speed for me - because I only run a few miles and I'm slow - it simply about consistency and feeling good.
The reason I mention this in the context of this blog is that I can honestly say that I have been feeling different in the last 10 weeks. I feel consistently positive, consistently calm and more 'present' than I have ever been. I can only put this down to the running as this is the only thing that has changed in the last while. I'll admit that the children being off school for the Summer has also helped as there has been less stress but I don't think that's the main thing. I have been really focused on looking after myself in the last while and running (as well as diet) is an integral part of it for me. A recent book I read (Running with the mind of Meditation), really helped me understand the value of running to your overall wellbeing - physical and mental.

I think maybe I'm over-focusing on my health but....it is what it is.....it is a period of reflection for me and I believe it will be a template for  how I live in the future. My wife takes the piss out of me about being such a health nut but, let's face it, it's hardly surprising given my history here. I know there are no guarantees with health - I'm just reducing risk.

No comments: